Welcome to Peckham Soul’s brand new mix with Craig Jamieson. ‘April 66’ and were doing exactly what it says – giving you a mix of tunes released exactly 50 years ago this month. And it certainly was a vintage month. Motown was knocking ‘em out and other record companies, keen to exploit the increasing popularity of Soul music, were releasing more of their American Soul titles into the UK market.
Most of them didn’t get anywhere near the charts, but they weren’t forgotten - finding an audience later in the burgeoning Northern Soul scene of the early 1970’s. So along with some background info on what was happening in April 1966, strap yourself in for a rhythm ride in the soul tardis.
- Gene Chandler – I’m Just A Fool For You
- The Poets – She Blew A Good Thing
- Marvin Gaye – Ain’t That Peculiar
- The Outsiders – Time Won’t Let Me
- The Supremes – (Love Is Like) An Itching In My Heart
- Billy Preston – In the Midnight Hour
- Jimmy Hughes- Neighbour Neighbour
- Tony Middleton – To The Ends of the Earth
- Bobby Sheen – Doctor Love
- Four Tops – Shake Me Wake Me (When It’s Over)
- Edwin Starr – S.O.S (Stop Her On Sight)
- Garnett Mimms – Looking For You
- Chris Clarke – (Do I Love You) Indeed I do